Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Brown Comedy

Larry David plays Gordon Brown in a new comedy. Sarah Brown is played by Cheryl Hines.

Excerpt: In this scene Gordon and Sarah are talking in the kitchen of their palatial Santa Monica home. Sarah has a copy of the Sun newspaper and is dismayed by the front page.

Gordon: [Eating a yoghurt] Mm! You know Lewis' new girlfriend makes these. Very tasty. Pretty... pretty...

Sarah: Larry...

G: Pretty... pretty...

S: Larry...

G: Prettaaaayyyy...

S: Larry!

G: Pretty good. What?

S: Have you seen this article in the Sun?

G: The Sun? What's that?

S: It's an English newspaper. It says that you insulted the mother of a soldier who died in Afghanistan.

G: Whaaaat? Give that here. [Gordon takes the paper and examines the front page, muttering to himself for a moment] Oh this is bullshit! I insulted her? Bullshit!

S: Larry, why would you insult the mother of a soldier who died...

G: I didn't insult her. I wrote her a letter offering my condolences – which I do for all the close relatives of members of the armed services who die in action, by the way – and now she's saying that because my handwriting is bad she's insulted.

S: [Examining the scanned copy of the letter in the Sun] Larry, this is horrible, look at all the spelling mistakes and your handwriting is just awful.

G: I've got one eye! Of course it's fucking bad. You know how many of those things I have to write, two soldiers die in Afghanistan every week!

S: So you begrudge writing them?

G: No, I didn't say that. [Shaking his head furiously] It's a nice gesture, I think. I don't mind doing it. This is such bullshit, you can't criticise a polite gesture. You should be thankful for the gesture, thankful.

S: Well, I think you should phone this woman and apologise.

G: Phone her? Uch.

S: Larry! This woman has lost a son, you've insulted her...

G: Alright, alright. [Gordon picks up the phone].

Update November 12: I think that link to the audio of the phone call on the Sun website has stopped working. Here's a transcript.

0 comments:

Post a Comment