Sunday, November 15, 2009

"I may be deformed..."

I am so full of shit these days. I don't just mean this blog. It used to be that I would be honest in my communication; now it's all "good to hear from you!", "really well done!", "have a good time!", "we should meet up soon": such shit. That's changing from now on.xx

***


A few weeks ago I was on a train, nice pair of seats to myself, looking out the window. A jakey woman came by asking for a lighter, I told her that I didn't have one. She took a better look at me, reeled and then said, "I recognise you," waggling her finger at me. She said she had seen me walking around; she recognised me by my walk, she said. Then she did an imitation of my walk by limping around and sticking one shoulder up to her ear.

She reeled a second time, this time more violently and pointed an accusing finger at me, for a moment too astonished to speak, "You were in Star Wars!" Initially, I denied this but she persisted and I admitted that, yes, I was in Star Wars. She said that my secret was safe her, evidently recognising my desire to remain incognito – all of this audible to the rest of the carriage.

She resumed her hunchback pose and said that she could remember one of my scenes. She quoted, "I may be deformed, captain, but that doesn't mean I'm not intelligent." She went on to recall how I had been a pioneer for disabled actors, a beacon of sorts.

Throughout all of this I was continually affirming her statements, "That's right," I was saying. Eventually, she became bored and walked off.

***


I've changed the way comments work on this blog. We're now using something called Disqus that allows you to integrate with Facebook and Twitter and so on. It's the same as what Limmy's done: I've copied Limmy. You can try out if you like, I don't know if it works or how it will show up on Facebook.

Also, I think that if you get yourself a Gravatar you'll have a wee image with your comment.

blog comments powered by Disqus